Now that I’m an adult, summertime no longer mean several weeks of unstructured time with no responsibilities. I don’t think I need any more reason to justify why I’m not a big fan of summer now. However, summer does redeem itself by providing me with an abundance of delicious, fresh produce. Sam’s parents have an awesome garden, which means that I am blessed with a continuous supply of fresh basil, tomatoes, zucchini, and jalapeno peppers. This meal consisted of almost entirely fresh produce from my in-laws’ garden. Spaghetti tossed in basil pesto, tomatoes, and roasted zucchini. Basil pesto recipe below.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 2/3 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Salt to taste
- Garlic to taste (about 2 cloves?)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Add basil, sunflower seeds, and garlic to food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add oil, blend until smooth.