A friend’s birthday was yesterday, and my husband’s birthday is tomorrow, so a mutual friend suggest that we make them Cake Balls. I hadn’t heard of Cake Balls, and they’re certainly more labor intensive than a regular cake, but they are delicious. We made two kinds of cake balls: vanilla cake with chocolate icing, dipped in chocolate; and chocolate cake with chocolate icing and peanut butter stirred in, dipped in melted peanut butter chips.
And yes, I know, our friend informed us that Cake Balls have made it into the popular discourse thanks to an interview with Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence, of The Hunger Games.
- 1 cake mix, flavor of choice
- 1 container of icing, flavor of choice
- Chocolate chips for melting (or peanut butter chips, or butterscotch chips)
- Bake cake according to directions. Let cool (we popped it in the freezer to speed things up)
- Transfer cake to a bowl. Add 3/4 of a container of icing to cake and stir together
- Make well-packed balls about the size of aping pong ball
- Dip into melted chocolate chips