Sam found this recipe for Brie & Brisket/Tacos with Mango Barbeque Sauce, and we had to give it a try. I would absolutely make the mango sauce again. I would try brisket again, too. However, the brisket didn’t really adapt much of the flavor from the rub, so I would want to figure out how to better season the meat.
We ate the brisket and mango barbeque sauce in tortillas with cilantro, cheese (extra sharp cheddar for me, goat cheese for Sam), lettuce, and avocado. This is a definite make again.
- 3 lb brisket
- Ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz Dublin Dr. Pepper (made with real sugar) – we didn’t have Dr. Pepper on hand, so we used Coke
Mango Barbecue Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 3/4 – 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Creole (spicy brown) mustard
- 1/4 cup mango salsa
- Garlic to taste
- Rub brisket with salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic. Place in crock pot, pour coke over it. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- To make the mango barbeque sauce. Saute the onions and garlic in canola oil for about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Use a food processor to blend the sauce until smooth.