It was probably Jackie’s blog post on making her first apple pie that really motivated me to learn how to make a good pie. This recipe was given to me by Sam’s mother, and it comes from Sam’s grandmother, I believe.
- 1 pie crust
- Thinly sliced apples (enough to fill the pie pan, heaping over)
- 2/3 to 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flour (or corn starch)
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk (give or take)
- Pie crumbs
- Add peeled, thinly sliced apples to crust.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, and flour/corn starch well. Use more sugar if apples are more sour. Add about 2 tablespoons of evaporated milk, or until thick.
- Top with pie crumbs
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then turn down to 350 for 45 or more minutes. Should be bubbling around the edge.