I love tomato based dishes of any type. There are several chicken and tomato dishes I wanted to try, but we are snowed in and don’t have any chicken. So, I threw the following ingredients together in an attempt to make my own pasta sauce. I didn’t measure much. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- chopped garlic
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- salt, pepper, italian seasoning to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 – 1 cup white cooking wine
- 1 cup sliced frozen zucchini
- 1 cup sliced frozen squash
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped spinach
- tomato sauce (optional)
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil. Add tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, sugar, and wine. Bring to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add zucchini, squash, and spinach. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- I ended up adding about 8 tablespoons of tomato sauce because the sauce was pretty thick.
- Serve over pasta