- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar (I halved the sugar)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3 1/2 cups milk (I used 4 cups of whole milk)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream (I skipped the half and half because I didn’t have any on hand)
- Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn’t scorch.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil! Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature.