I first saw a Chicken Cacciatore recipe on The Biggest Loser. We ultimately based our recipe from a Giada De Laurentiis recipe.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Flour mixed with salt and pepper to taste, for dredging the chicken
- Olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper (I used green because that’s what we had on hand)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sugar to offset acidity of tomatoes
- Dredge chicken in flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high. Saute chicken until just brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Take chicken out of plate and set aside.
- Saute bell pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until tender.
- Add wine and simmer until reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, oregano, red pepper flakes, and chicken stock. Return chicken to sauce and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering over medium-heat until chicken is cooked through, about 20-30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve over pasta or rice.