- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 6 ounces whole wheat egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets, blanched and coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces shredded sharp white cheddar
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add butter and flour and stir until bubbly. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk through freshly ground pepper and other spices. Slowly pour in milk and whisk until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cottage cheese.
Coat a 2-1/2 quart casserole dish lightly cooking spray, place noodles, white sauce, and broccoli. Mix well. Scatter the top with both cheeses.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until bubbly.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Original recipe here.